- Duration: 2 days
This two-day course is designed to provide detailed coverage of virtual LAN (VLAN) operations, Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP) and VLAN Spanning Tree Protocol (VSTP), authentication and access control for Layer 2 networks, IP telephony features, class of service (CoS) and monitoring and troubleshooting tools and features supported on the EX Series Ethernet Switches. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos operating system and in monitoring device and protocol operations. This course uses Juniper Networks EX 4300 Series Ethernet Switches for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos OS. Optional lab components are available allowing attendees to perform network management and troubleshooting tasks using Junos Space Network Director. This course is based on Junos OS Release 17.1R1.8.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Restrict traffic flow within a VLAN.
- Manage dynamic VLAN registration.
- Tunnel Layer 2 traffic through Ethernet networks.
- Review the purpose and operations of a spanning tree.
- Implement multiple spanning-tree instances in a network.
- Implement one or more spanning-tree instances for a VLAN.
- List the benefits of implementing end-user authentication.
- Explain the operations of various access control features.
- Configure and monitor various access control features.
- Describe processing considerations when multiple authentication and access control features are enabled.
- Describe some common IP telephony deployment scenarios.
- Describe features that facilitate IP telephony deployments.
- Configure and monitor features used in IP telephony deployments.
- Explain the purpose and basic operations of CoS.
- Describe CoS features used in Layer 2 networks.
- Configure and monitor CoS in a Layer 2 network.
- Describe a basic troubleshooting method.
- List common issues that disrupt network operations.
- Identify tools used in network troubleshooting.
- Use available tools to resolve network issues.
- Discover, configure, and troubleshoot EX Series switches using Junos Space Network Director.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Advanced Ethernet Switching
- Virtual Local Area Networks
- Automating VLAN Administration
- Tunneling Layer 2 Traffic
- Lab 1: Advanced Ethernet Switching
Chapter 3: Advanced Spanning Tree
- Spanning Tree Review
- Advanced Spanning Tree Troubleshooting
- Lab 2: Advanced Spanning Tree
Chapter 4: Authentication and Access Control
- Authentication Overview
- Access Control Features
- Overview of Authentication Processing
- Lab 3: Authentication and Access Control
Chapter 5: Deploying IP Telephony Features
- Deployment Scenarios
- IP Telephony Features
- Case Study: Deploying IP Telephony Features
- Lab 4: Deploying IP Telephony Features
Chapter 6: Class of Service
- Class of Service Review
- Processing and Feature Overview
- Case Study: Implementing Class of Service
- Junos Space Network Director CoS Profiles
- Troubleshooting Class of Service
- Lab 5: Class of Service
Chapter 7: Monitoring and Troubleshooting Layer 2 Networks
- Introduction to Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Tools
- Case Studies
- Lab 6: Monitoring and Troubleshooting
Appendix A: ELS and Non-ELS Configuration Examples
- Switch Options
- IRB and VLAN Interfaces
- Q-in-Q Tagging