- Duration: 2 days
This two-day course provides students with advanced class-of-service (CoS) knowledge and configuration examples. The course begins with an overview of CoS before going into classification, policing, scheduling, and rewriting. The course then covers class-based forwarding and finishes with a case study. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and verifying Junos CoS features. This course is based on the Junos operating system Release 16.2R1.6
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
• Understand the history and evolution of CoS.
• Identify the CoS fields in various packet headers.
• List the CoS processing stages on devices running the Junos OS.
• Identify the default CoS settings on devices running the Junos OS.
• Configure and verify behavior aggregate (BA) and multifield (MF) classification.
• Configure and verify two-color and tricolor marking policers.
• Configure and verify schedulers and their components.
• Configure and verify the multiple levels of hierarchical schedulers.
• Configure and verify packet header rewriting.
• Configure and verify class-based forwarding.
• Create a CoS configuration based on a set of design requirements
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: CoS Overview
• CoS History and Evolution
• CoS and DiffServ
• CoS Fields in Packet Headers
• CoS Processing
Chapter 3: Packet Classification
• Classification Overview
• Forwarding Classes and Packet Loss Priority
• Fixed Classification
• Multifield Classification
• Behavior Aggregate Classification
• Lab 1: Configuring Packet Classification
Chapter 4: Policing
• Policing Overview
• Single-Rate Two-Color Policer
• Tricolor Marking Policers
• Hierarchical Policers
• Application—Directly on an Interface
• Application—Within a Firewall Filter
• Lab 2: Configuring Policers
Chapter 5: Scheduling
• Scheduling Overview
• Transmission Rate
• Queue Priority
• Delay Buffers
• Drop Profiles and Drop Profile Maps
• Scheduling Configuration
• Lab 3: Configuring Schedulers
Chapter 6: Hierarchical Scheduling
• Hierarchical Scheduling Overview
• Scheduler Modes
• Hierarchical Scheduling Levels
• Throughput Example
• Remaining Traffic
• Queue Properties in a Hierarchical Scheduling Context
• Putting It All Together
• Lab 4: Configuring Hierarchical Schedulers
Chapter 7: Rewrite Rules
• Packet Header Rewrite Overview
• Rewrite Rules and Tables
• Rewrite Combinations
• Lab 5: Configuring Rewrite Rules
Chapter 8: CoS-Based Forwarding
• CBF Overview
• CBF Configuration
• Lab 6: Configuring CBF
Chapter 9: Case Study
• VoIP Case Study Overview
• VoIP Case Study: Ingress Node
• VoIP Case Study: Transit and Egress Nodes
• Lab 7: Case Study
Appendix A: CoS Processing on M Series, T Series, and MX Series Devices
• M Series and T Series Architecture
• M Series and T Series CoS Packet Handling
• IQ2 PIC CoS Packet Handling
• MX Series (DPC and MPC/MIC) Architecture and CoS Packet Handling