- Duration: 2 days
This two-day course is designed to provide students with MPLS-based Layer 2 virtual private network (VPN) knowledge and configuration examples. The course includes an overview of MPLS Layer 2 VPN concepts, such as BGP Layer 2 VPNs, LDP Layer 2 circuits, FEC 129 BGP autodiscovery, virtual private LAN service (VPLS), Ethernet VPN (EVPN), and Inter-AS Layer 2 VPNs. This course also covers Junos operating system-specific implementations of Layer 2 VPN instances, VPLS, and EVPNs. This course is based on the Junos OS Release 18.2R1.9. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos OS and in device operations.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
• Define the term virtual private network.
• Describe the business drivers for MPLS VPNs. .
• Describe the differences between Layer 2 VPNs and Layer 3 VPNs. .
• List advantages for the use of MPLS Layer 3 VPNs and Layer 2 VPNs. .
• Describe the roles of a CE device, PE router, and P router in a BGP Layer 2 VPN. .
• Explain the flow of control traffic and data traffic for a BGP Layer 2 VPN. .
• Configure a BGP Layer 2 VPN and describe the benefits and requirements of over-provisioning. .
• Monitor and troubleshoot a BGP Layer 2 VPN. .
• Explain the BGP Layer 2 VPN scaling mechanisms and route reflection. .
• Describe the Junos OS BGP Layer 2 VPN CoS support. .
• Describe the flow of control and data traffic for an LDP Layer 2 circuit. .
• Configure an LDP Layer 2 circuit. .
• Monitor and troubleshoot an LDP Layer 2 circuit. .
• Describe the operation of FEC 129 BGP autodiscovery for Layer 2 VPNs. .
• Configure a FEC 129 BGP autodiscovery Layer 2 VPN. .
• Monitor and troubleshoot a FEC 129 BGP autodiscovery for Layer 2 VPNs. .
• Describe the difference between Layer 2 MPLS VPNs and VPLS. .
• Explain the purpose of the PE device, the CE device, and the P device. .
• Explain the provisioning of CE and PE routers. .
• Describe the signaling process of VPLS. .
• Describe the learning and forwarding process of VPLS. .
• Describe the potential loops in a VPLS environment. .
• Configure BGP, LDP, and FEC 129 BGP autodiscovery VPLS. .
• Troubleshoot VPLS. .
• Describe the purpose and features of Ethernet VPN. .
• Configure Ethernet VPN. .
• Monitor and troubleshoot Ethernet VPN. .
• Describe the Junos OS support for hierarchical VPN models. .
• Describe the Junos OS support for Carrier-of-Carriers VPN Option C. .
• Configure the interprovider VPN Option C. .
• Describe the Junos OS support for multisegment pseudowire for FEC 129. .
• Describe and configure circuit cross-connect (CCC). .
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: MPLS VPNs
• MPLS VPNs
• Provider-Provisioned VPNs
Chapter 3: BGP Layer 2 VPNs
• Overview of Layer 2 Provider-Provisioned VPNs
• BGP Layer 2 VPN Operational Model: Control Plane
• BGP Layer 2 VPN Operational Model: Data Plane
• Preliminary BGP Layer 2 VPN Configuration
• BGP Layer 2 Configuration
• Monitoring and Troubleshooting BGP Layer 2 VPNs
• Lab: BGP Layer 2 VPNs
Chapter 4: Layer 2 VPN Scaling and CoS
• Review of VPN Scaling Mechanisms
• Layer 2 VPNs and CoS
• Lab: Layer 2 VPN Scaling
Chapter 5: LDP Layer 2 Circuits
• LDP Layer 2 Circuit Operation
• LDP Layer 2 Circuit Configuration
• LDP Layer 2 Circuit Monitoring and Troubleshooting
• FEC 129 BGP Autodiscovery Layer 2 Circuit Operation
• FEC 129 BGP Autodiscovery Layer 2 Circuit Configuration
• FEC 129 BGP Autodiscovery Monitoring and Troubleshooting
• Lab: LDP Layer 2 Circuit and FEC 129 BGP Autodiscovery
Chapter 6: Virtual Private LAN Services
• Layer 2 MPLS VPNs Versus VPLS
• BGP VPLS Control Plane
• BGP VPLS Data Plane
• Learning and Forwarding Process
Chapter 7: VPLS Configuration
• VPLS Configuration
• VPLS Troubleshooting
• Lab: VPLS
Chapter 8: Ethernet VPN (EVPN)
• EVPN Overview
• EVPN Control Plane
• EVPN Operation
• EVPN Configuration
• EVPN Troubleshooting
• Lab: EVPN
Appendix A: Interprovider Backbones for Layer 2 VPNs
• Hierarchical VPN Models
• Carrier-of-Carriers VPN Option C
• Interprovider VPN Option C
• Multisegment Pseudowires
• Lab: Interprovider L2VPNs
Appendix B: Circuit Cross-Connect
• Circuit Cross-Connect